Time flies when you're having fun! I can't believe that it is already mid-July! Since I haven't posted in awhile, I thought I would take a minute and update you on what we have been doing this past month. McKenzie and I were able to attend the princess festival down in Lindon. We have gone the past two years, and it is a really great fundraiser! It is family owned, and this family has built a castle, Snow White's house, and other great features on their land for young girls to come enjoy a guided tour by different "princess' and princes". They donate ALL of the money they make to benefit the people of Kenya. We go with some cousins, and the girls really enjoy getting all dressed up and beautiful!
Last year McKenzie dressed up as a "pretty princess", so this year she wanted to be a fairy.
McKenzie and her cousins.
Princess Tiana from Princess and the Frog
Kenzie laying in one of the dwarfs beds. Disney made them use their own names, but they had some clever ones.
While McKenzie and I were at the festival, Jeff took the boys to do the thing he loves to do most....FISH! They too had a lot of fun (but my husband is even worse than me at taking pictures) and they caught quite a few fish. There has only been one time ever that I have gone fishing with Jeff and he has gotten skunked (not caught a fish). He really does know what he is doing and the kids love to go with him because they always catch fish.
We have also gone on several fun bike rides as a family. It has been relaxing and energizing at the same time. The kids do a great job. Jeff has also been riding his bike back and forth to work. He rides one way each day. I am super impressed! His work is 17 miles away and he generally ends up riding in the heat of the day, especially on his way home. I made him purchase a helmet for the venture, and he has been a great sport about wearing it!
My mom lives in a condo less than a mile away from us, so we have also spent some time at her pool. The kids are loving it. They are turning into quite the little fish.
The kids love to watch a show on TV called Ninja Warrior. It is where contestants compete against each other to complete a rather difficult obstacle course and see who can do it in the best time. My kids have now turned our house into an obstacle course, and it is not unusual to see them climbing the walls like they are below.
And, Kenzie lost another tooth.....her third!
But, it has not ALL been fun and games. Jeff has been hard at work to finish the downstairs bathroom in order to have it ready for the preschoolers. He is doing a great job. He has also been working some ridiculous hours (he got called in to work one night at 12:30 am)! And, I have been busy at work planning lessons for the preschool (which really has been more fun than work!), passing out flyers, getting our website ready to launch, and taking care of all the usual household and motherly tasks.
We also started giving the kids an allowance. Not quite sure how this whole thing works yet. We have always just bought things for our kids at our own discretion, but they really need a reality check to help them learn the essence of earning and saving. It really has helped to open their eyes. They now understand why mom can't buy them anything and everything they want everytime we are at the store. In fact, one day Riley was trying to put everything into perspective (from a kids point of view) and asked me this: "Mom, if I want something for $90 dollars, can I earn that much, or will I die first?" Ha ha, too funny. It has been a learning experience.
Kenzie is finally out of school, as of a week ago, so I am excited to see what else the summer has in store for us!
That Princess Festival looks so fun. I would love to go with you next year. Brynlyn is all "princess". We need to get together! Its been too long!
ReplyDeleteCute post! You guys sure have been busy! Riley's quote made me giggle. It is rather shocking to them when they figure the whole money thing out!
ReplyDelete